From the Mountains of Montana to the Streets of London

In 2006, I uprooted my life to London for a Masters at RADA and Kings. This was a means to an end, a path to a coveted PhD in Performance Studies back in the States.

Days go by and I'm still here. That PhD gave way to new friends, marriage, two ridiculous cats and a burgeoning career as a solicitor.

Ah well, life is surprising and this blog is just a slice of what it's like as an American expat in London.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

So you had a bad day...

I felt like bursting into tears today. While walking back along the A3205, without the package I trudged out there to get, I very nearly did. Chris is out, enjoying the wonders of political life at the Lib Dems conference (I'm just envious, it looks and sounds amazing!), so I found a way to cheer myself up. I steeped in a bubble bath with a good book and then got out to cook. By this time, I was starved and so had little patience for anything complex. Furthermore, being - let's say - extraordinarily easy going with money, I am cutting it close this month. So no foie gras for me.

After a peek in the fridge and cupboards, I decided to whip up some spicy spaghetti with kale and garlic. I indulged and added some red wine to the dish (also because drinking the entire bottle myself tends to lead to a less than happy morning).

Sauté 3 cloves of garlic in about 3 T of olive oil. Add 1 T crushed red pepper and stir. Wash and tear 2 C kale (curly, dinosaur - doesn't really matter), then add to the garlic, olive oil and pepper. Dump in a good dollop of red wine (I measured from my glass, so not too sure of the amount) and cover. Meanwhile.... cook enough spaghetti for one (a small handful should suffice) and just before done, add it to the kale mixture. This turns to spaghetti a pleasingly wine-y shade of red. Serve with some freshly grated parm, garlic bread and, of course, red wine.

The results? Delish. Sauntering around the deliciously empty flat in a sarong, listening to Movits!, I am now wonderfully calm. Don't get me wrong, DHL will still receive a strongly worded email. But not until tomorrow morning.

No comments: