From the Mountains of Montana to the Streets of London

In 2006, I uprooted my life to London for a Masters at RADA and Kings. This was a means to an end, a path to a coveted PhD in Performance Studies back in the States.

Days go by and I'm still here. That PhD gave way to new friends, marriage, two ridiculous cats and a burgeoning career as a solicitor.

Ah well, life is surprising and this blog is just a slice of what it's like as an American expat in London.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dinner and an essay

Tonight I must write an essay. I'm getting there - slowly but surely - about 1/4 done at this point. But this isn't about the pompous sentences recently recorded on paper, but rather the food that fed them.

This evening I needed a quick meal that also satisfied my need for culinary therapy after a long day. Ran over to Tescos (I know! No time for the market this afternoon, or my beloved Waitrose), grabbed cherry tomatoes and basil and ducked home. While the water slowly heated for linguine, I sautéed half a thinly sliced onion, the remainder of a red pepper and 4 cloves of garlice in a dash of olive oil. Chris is out drinking the night away, so I didn't need to spice it up at all - a welcome change, I must admit. Once soft, I threw in the the cherry tomatoes and left to simmer. As the tomatoes broke down I splashed in some of the reisling I happended to have in a wine glass and a squirt of tomato paste, leaving to simmer and melt together. When the linguine was nearly finished, I tore up about 10 basil leaves into the sauce and tossed the pasta in to finish it off. Served with a quick salad of rocket and tomato and the remainder of the wine, it took all of 30 minutes to prepare. Leaving me plenty of time to procrastinate writing my paper...

No comments: