From the Mountains of Montana to the Streets of London

In 2006, I uprooted my life to London for a Masters at RADA and Kings. This was a means to an end, a path to a coveted PhD in Performance Studies back in the States.

Days go by and I'm still here. That PhD gave way to new friends, marriage, two ridiculous cats and a burgeoning career as a solicitor.

Ah well, life is surprising and this blog is just a slice of what it's like as an American expat in London.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Terms of Endearment

Darlin'. Love. Sweetie. All part of the warm and inviting market vocabulary. In a city which can simultaneously feel overwhelming and alienating, it helps to create a sense of community and establish a neighborhood. This is difficult in Soho because the population is so transient. Thousands of workers flee the end of the day, while even more people flood in looking for a night out. The streets can either feel like the set of a zombie film (9am on a Saturday morning) or like an outdoor rave (Shaftesbury Ave, 11pm on a Saturday night). Either way, it's difficult to get a true sense of of the 'hood.

It's now Day 4 in my buy local program and things are looking up on this front. Today I conducted my shopping at the deli entirely in Italian and was bestowed the wonderful compliment of the owner assuming I was from Milan. To him I am 'Cara.' After three consecutive days at the market, the vendors are beginning to know me, recommending veg and steering me away from less savory purchases. I don't think we'll ever get on a first name basis, but then - I wouldn't trade being 'Darling' for anything.

No comments: